Why Everyone Should Wear a Mask!
The Safe Store Initiative
Click image below for printable PDF
Latest COVID-19 Face Mask News
100 Million Masks Challenge
- Dr. James Lawler faulted the messages former President Donald Trump sent to the public by politicizing masks, downplaying the severity of the pandemic and holding large rallies.
- President Joe Biden will sign two more executive orders Friday, designed to alleviate economic pressures across the U.S.
- Coronavirus updates: Biden outlines COVID plan, requires masks on flights; Fauci feels liberated on Biden teamA COVID vaccine being developed by New Jersey-based Johnson & Johnson could dramatically speed up the fight against the pandemic. Latest COVID news.
- Biden launches ‘100 days mask challenge’; makes COVID test, quarantine mandatory for people entering USBiden says it will take months to defeat the pandemic but America will ‘get through this’ if people stand together US President Joe Biden has unveiled his “wartime” national strategy to boost the …
- As the new administration implements the federal initiatives, it will also emphasize the safe reopening of schools and businesses, the plan says.
- How Biden plans to fight the pandemic: 100 million shots, 100 new vaccine centers, and lots more testing and PPEPresident Joe Biden issued three executive orders related to the pandemic on his first day in office, and several more on his second.
Face Masks in the Pandemic
- COVID-19 update for Jan. 21: 564 new cases, 15 additional deaths | Report says Japan Olympics to be cancelledB.C.’S COVID-19 CASE NUMBERS. As of the latest figures given on Jan. 21: • Total number of confirmed cases: 62,976 (4,450 active) • New cases since Jan. 20: 564 • Total de …
- Takeaways from Biden's COVID-19 executive orders: Experts celebrate plan, warn 'a lot of work' is leftSome priorities may be contingent on the passage of the president’s $1.9 trillion relief package, others can have an immediate impact.
- While millions wait for a lifesaving shot, the U.S. death toll from the coronavirus continues to soar upward with horrifying speed. On Tuesday, the last …
- Marsicano, an assistant professor of the practice of higher education at Davidson College, who is tracking how schools nationally respond to the crisis, said most a …
- An Indian boy awaits customers as he sells face masks … the spread of COVID-19.” Trump imposed the travel restrictions early in the pandemic to slow the spread of the coronavirus to the …
- PHOENIX (AP) — WASHINGOTN — President-elect Joe Biden’s incoming White House press secretary says his administration does not intend to lift coronavirus travel restrictions for Europe, the U.K., Irela …
Making Homemade Masks
- A Valley doctor says people should consider wearing two masks if they use homemade or non-medical grade masks, as that could provide better protections than just one mask.
- Coronavirus live news: France warns homemade masks may not halt spread of new variants; China finds two cases resemble UK strainFrench health officials warn against wearing home-made fabric masks; Two cases in China considered to be highly similar to UK variant; Dutch curfew set to be introduced between 8.30pm and 4.30am …
- German residents will have to wear medical grade masks on public transport and in shops, due to tighter Covid restrictions which will be in place until at least 14 February.
- If cloth masks are used during PPE shortages, pairing them with plastic face shields may offer additional protection.
- Why We Should All Start Making Our Own Face Masks During Coronavirus—and an Expert-Approved Guide on HowMost people have the basic materials to make a face mask right now,” says Stanford psychology expert Nir Eyal. “It’s time to call forth the ‘can do’ American spirit and encourage everyone stuck at …
- Face masks are once again in hot demand in Australia – and there are options out there to suit a range of tastes and budgets Last modified on Mon 4 Jan 2021 17.47 EST On 4 January 2021, wearing …
Washington Post Article by Jeremy Howard
Washington Post, March 28, 2020. When historians tally up the many missteps policymakers have made in response to the coronavirus pandemic, the senseless and unscientific push for the general public to avoid wearing masks should be near the top.
Jeremy Howard – Why we need #Masks4All, and how to make your own mask
The Hong Kong Mask
This is for social hygiene – its purpose is to protect others from you. No sewing. Everyday components. Very simple. Includes multiple layer mask and a face shield. Dispose of the mask immediately after use and scrub your hands.
The Super Simple Diaper Mask!
This is for social hygiene – its purpose is to protect others from you. It may give you some protection from others. No sewing! Takes one diaper and a pair of scissors. Cut out a square in the center of the diaper, leaving elastic on either side. Use the cutout square to make a double layer in front. You can effectively seal this mask around your nose with a pair of goggles. Includes two non-woven layers of polypropylene and two moisture absorbing tortuous paths. Easy, simple and fast. This very simple mask meets many of the requirements of a good surgical mask – as described in the “What is a Good Quality Surgical Mask?” video at the bottom of this page. Dispose of the mask immediately after use and scrub your hands.
A Doctor Explains How to Make the Safest Face Mask (HEPA Vacuum Bag)
If N95 or better masks are not available, Dr. Southworth recommends this mask as an alternative for healthcare workers. The fit appears to be very good, because he could not smell household fumes, such as bacon cooking while wearing the mask. Given the materials, this mask is potentially reusable. The integrity of this mask should be verified with the standard fit test with each use. UV germicidal light could be used to keep it clean between patients.
Face Mask with a Filter Pocket
This is a sewn version of a simple surgical mask. Hospitals are providing these to patients in the waiting area, and for them to take home for their personal use. The nose wire helps to achieve an improved fit. The replaceable filter layer(s) can be made from unwoven fabrics such as 100% rayon, cellulose, or polypropylene as found in fabric liners and diapers. The cloth portion of the mask is washable, but for safety it should be sterilized immediately after use by soaking in hydrogen peroxide. Remove the mask by only touching the elastic portions and wash your hands thoroughly afterwards.
Nurse Preferred Mask
Which mask should I make for the hospitals? The nurse below talks about the designs for two types of surgical masks. She prefers ties over elastic because of the discomfort of wearing elastic. She prefers at least four layers in the mask. She does not want an insertable filter because when she is working it is beyond what she wants to deal with. Each hospital has different requirements – please check before creating them.
DIY Near N-95 Masks
This mask should not only help protect others from you, but may also help protect you from others. It requires no sewing, and attempts to replicate the layering used in N95 masks by using a MERV13 filter. You should verify its fit and filtering capability with a sniff test for household odors as described by Dr. Southworth in the above vacuum bag mask video. This mask cannot be washed but you can sterilize the surfaces with UV light. Remove the mask by only touching the elastic portions and wash your hands thoroughly afterwards.
This mask should not only help protect others from you, but may also help protect you from others. This is a simple sewn mask. It includes a wired nose piece. The DIY video explains the use of layering of unwoven fabrics to create a tortuous path which acts as a barrier to viruses and small particles. This mask is washable. Immediately sterilize in hydrogen peroxide or UV light after each use. Remove the mask by only touching the elastic portions and wash your hands thoroughly afterwards.
The Olson Mask (for Healthcare Workers)
This is the Olson mask that some hospitals are asking people to make in the event that alternatives are needed. Their innovative use of double sided tape got this mask to pass the hospital fit test.
The MERV Filter Mask
This is one the early DIY masks that requires no sewing. It uses a MERV13 air filter material.
The Bra Mask
This is a multilayered mask. It gives you a pre-shaped form and elastic straps using bras that many women will have in their dresser drawer. To the extent is it well sealed on the sides, this mask will help protect others from you and may protect you from others.
The Anti Viral Masks
Antiviral materials are coming. The two stories below refer to research and innovations that will allow any mask, homemade or otherwise, to be made of antiviral materials. Treated fabrics will destroy viruses on contacts.
The Salt Mask
The Nano Textile Sonovia Innovation – a New Long Term Sterile Mask
How to Put On and Take Off a Face Mask Safely
When you remove a mask, you must treat it as if it were contaminated.