ONLINE AFTERSCHOOL PROGRAM
A Virtual STEM Afterschool Program that Explores MAGNETISM
Key materials for HANDS-ON projects provided
- Extreme Magnetism is taught 1 day per week for 8 weeks.
- Duration: Each meeting includes a 60 minute interactive live Zoom session.
- Extended activities: At least 1 additional hour of activities may be explored before the next scheduled Zoom session.
- A Zoom link to the afterschool program is provided with purchase.
- Each attendee is sent a companion book and kit uniquely configured for this program.
Age: 3rd – 7th Grade
Price: $180.00 + Materials (approx. $30)
NOTE: (OPTIONAL FOR THIS CLASS) There is an additional ONE TIME fee for a mobile phone or tablet stand ($15) that allows the instructor to view the attendees work surface directly. This SECOND camera lets the instructor observe each circuit closeup and facilitates debugging and mentoring. The stand is reusable with all ScienceWiz Afterschool Programs and Camps.
WHAT YOU WILL DO
Explore EXTREME topics of Magnetism. The afterschool program begins with the basics but quickly moves on to the strange and surprising effects of Eddy currents and the building of high-speed magnetic racers. View the video below — seeing is believing? How is this possible?
Explore the mesmerizing topic of Magnetism. Includes a favorite set of hands-on experiments tested over many years in ScienceWiz® afterschool programs and camps –– now combined with a compelling virtual experience.
This afterschool program begins with the basics, including the making, navigating and treasure hunting with compasses. Can you use a compass to navigate on the Moon or on Mars? What does that tell you about the constraints imposed on dreams for terraforming Mars? Think again Elon!
Participants will explore the weird effects of eddy currents on falling magnets. Neodymium magnets will be supplied to parents for these experiments. These are SERIOUS magnets. They have safety requirement that parents must provide!
The program concludes with magnetic “car” racing. Students build their initial designs. The goal is to perfect and tune these cars to improve their speed. Elaborate tracks can be designed and built as well.
A beautiful, full-color companion book helps guide students through hands-on projects that teach key must-know science concepts for magnetism.
MAGNETISM – 8 WEEK PROGRAM
- Weeks 1 and 2: Magnetism basics.
- Week 3: Make compasses, from the simplest to more elaborate. Navigate and solve puzzles with compasses. Let the treasure hunt begin!
- Week 4: Explore electromagnetism. Go on to mysterious eddy current experiments.
- Weeks 5 and 6: Build your first magnetic racer with neodymium magnets. Make your first copper coil tracks.
- Weeks 7 and 8: Increase the speed of your racer. Let the races begin! Modify and elaborate on your tracks.
This immersive afterschool program is packed with exciting events, because of the nature of magnetism. It is SO peculiar. The program includes hands-on projects, interactive simulations, games, mesmerizing magnetic phenomena and memorable online experiences. Through the live Zoom sessions, students share ideas, brainstorm together, build confidence and expand their horizons.
WHAT YOU WILL NEED
MATERIALS (Your welcoming email following enrollment has a detailed list of materials.)
- 1.5 V alkaline battery (can be AA, AAA, C or D-cell)
( the D-cell is recommended — it lasts longer)
- 1.5 V AAA (new) and AA (new or used)
- translucent small plastic objects (to vary the kaleidoscope)
- metal objects and coins
- cans (from the kitchen –– used or unopened)
- metal kitchen utensils
- 1 paper plate or piece of cardboard
- metal utensils
- water, a few tablespoons of milk, large clear bowl or glass container
- scrap paper
- plastic bag
- small cup or bowl
- roll of aluminum foil
- Desktop, laptop or tablet: must include a speaker and a camera AND
- A second mobile phone or tablet camera for detailed observation of the projects being built (optional for this class)
- Internet access
- Zoom application installed
- Signed in with your child’s name
- Unmuted (the instructor will manage class muting/unmuting)
WHAT WILL BE EXPLORED
- The fundamental principles of magnetism
- How to make a compass and how to use it to navigate
- Electromagnets, on and off, and flipping poles
- Lines of force and action at a distance
- Mysterious eddy currents
- How to race forward at high-speed using only magnets and coils, no wheels or motors required!
- Art with ferromagnetic fluids
- Mag-lev trains –– the fastest in the world
- The history of magnetism from magnetite to planetary force fields to sun spots
AWARDS FOR THE BEST SELLER: SCIENCEWIZ® MAGNETISM
5 STAR RATED BY REVIEWERS ON AMAZON
“The one and only brand experiment kit I buy now!”
Reviewed in the United States on January 5, 2017
— Verified Purchaser
“These kits are the only experiment kits I buy now. Included is everything needed to cover all aspects of a subject. The front flap is a book packed full of 22 different activities. All short and to the point. Colorful pictures. Occasionally you may need a household item such as a battery, nail, or other household objects easily found in any home for this kit. My children pull out this magnet kit weekly. They love redoing all the experiments!”
— Mother, Amazon Purchase, West Virginia