Why Everyone Should Wear a Mask!
Saving Your Health,
One Mask at a Time
COVID-19 Face Mask News
Face Masks in the Pandemic
- Dr. Anthony Fauci said he hopes children and teens won’t hesitate when the US Food and Drug Administration authorizes a coronavirus vaccine for them.
- With about five more weeks of school left to go, some Midlands area school districts are still struggling with the issue of students wearing face masks in classrooms. At a school board meeting on …
- Although COVID-19 has loosened its grip, doctors in Southern California are contending with another deadly consequence of the pandemic: gun violence.
- Adagio Therapeutics’ COVID-19 antibody drug could provide as much as 12 months of protection against infection with the coronavirus, according to an early-stage clinical trial, supporting advancement …
- We’re tracking the most up-to-date information about the coronavirus and vaccines in North Carolina. Check back for updates. At least 976,768 people in North Carolina have tested positive for the …
- We're tracking the curve of coronavirus cases and coronavirus-related deaths that have occurred in Ohio, Kentucky and Indiana.
Making Homemade Masks
- Face masks made using smartphones and 3D printers could help better protect people during future epidemics or further waves of coronavirus, according to research. Engineers at the University of …
- RALEIGH — Chris Evans, who just launched his sixth company, Aries USA, to make high-performance, high breathability face masks … but offers medical-grade protection.” When people try …
- How To Choose Sustainable Face Masks For Business/Retailer: Reusable, Washable, Eco-friendly, Fashion & Comfortable Face MaskN95 face respirators give the most protection against novel coronavirus … be aware of purchasing the N95 mask. Homemade cloth mask Homemade cloth masks or DIY cloth masks are popular to help …
- How To Choose Sustainable Face Masks For Business/Retailer: Reusable, Washable, Eco-friendly, Fashion & Comfortable Face MaskN95 face respirators give the most protection against novel coronavirus … and people should be aware of purchasing the N95 mask. Homemade cloth masks or DIY cloth masks are popular to help …
- We anticipate that we may face the situation where we would … that’s when they may rely on homemade masks because some protection is better than none. But there’s mixed information out …
- The rapper and entrepreneur announced Tuesday he teamed up with Honeywell to bring two versions of a high-tech face mask called the Xupermask. The mask combines protection, design and usability …
Making Homemade Face Masks using Different Methods
The Hong Kong Mask
This is for social hygiene – its purpose is to protect others from you. No sewing. Everyday components. Very simple. Includes multiple layer mask and a face shield. Dispose of the mask immediately after use and scrub your hands.
The Super Simple Diaper Mask!
This is for social hygiene – its purpose is to protect others from you. It may give you some protection from others. No sewing! Takes one diaper and a pair of scissors. Cut out a square in the center of the diaper, leaving elastic on either side. Use the cutout square to make a double layer in front. You can effectively seal this mask around your nose with a pair of goggles. Includes two non-woven layers of polypropylene and two moisture absorbing tortuous paths. Easy, simple and fast. This very simple mask meets many of the requirements of a good surgical mask – as described in the “What is a Good Quality Surgical Mask?” video at the bottom of this page. Dispose of the mask immediately after use and scrub your hands.
A Doctor Explains How to Make the Safest Face Mask (HEPA Vacuum Bag)
If N95 or better masks are not available, Dr. Southworth recommends this mask as an alternative for healthcare workers. The fit appears to be very good, because he could not smell household fumes, such as bacon cooking while wearing the mask. Given the materials, this mask is potentially reusable. The integrity of this mask should be verified with the standard fit test with each use. UV germicidal light could be used to keep it clean between patients.
Face Mask with a Filter Pocket
This is a sewn version of a simple surgical mask. Hospitals are providing these to patients in the waiting area, and for them to take home for their personal use. The nose wire helps to achieve an improved fit. The replaceable filter layer(s) can be made from unwoven fabrics such as 100% rayon, cellulose, or polypropylene as found in fabric liners and diapers. The cloth portion of the mask is washable, but for safety it should be sterilized immediately after use by soaking in hydrogen peroxide. Remove the mask by only touching the elastic portions and wash your hands thoroughly afterwards.
Nurse Preferred Mask
Which mask should I make for the hospitals? The nurse below talks about the designs for two types of surgical masks. She prefers ties over elastic because of the discomfort of wearing elastic. She prefers at least four layers in the mask. She does not want an insertable filter because when she is working it is beyond what she wants to deal with. Each hospital has different requirements – please check before creating them.
DIY Near N-95 Masks
This mask should not only help protect others from you, but may also help protect you from others. It requires no sewing, and attempts to replicate the layering used in N95 masks by using a MERV13 filter. You should verify its fit and filtering capability with a sniff test for household odors as described by Dr. Southworth in the above vacuum bag mask video. This mask cannot be washed but you can sterilize the surfaces with UV light. Remove the mask by only touching the elastic portions and wash your hands thoroughly afterwards.
This mask should not only help protect others from you, but may also help protect you from others. This is a simple sewn mask. It includes a wired nose piece. The DIY video explains the use of layering of unwoven fabrics to create a tortuous path which acts as a barrier to viruses and small particles. This mask is washable. Immediately sterilize in hydrogen peroxide or UV light after each use. Remove the mask by only touching the elastic portions and wash your hands thoroughly afterwards.
The Olson Mask (for Healthcare Workers)
This is the Olson mask that some hospitals are asking people to make in the event that alternatives are needed. Their innovative use of double sided tape got this mask to pass the hospital fit test.
The MERV Filter Mask
This is one the early DIY masks that requires no sewing. It uses a MERV13 air filter material.
The Bra Mask
This is a multilayered mask. It gives you a pre-shaped form and elastic straps using bras that many women will have in their dresser drawer. To the extent is it well sealed on the sides, this mask will help protect others from you and may protect you from others.
The Anti Viral Masks
Antiviral materials are coming. The two stories below refer to research and innovations that will allow any mask, homemade or otherwise, to be made of antiviral materials. Treated fabrics will destroy viruses on contacts.
The Salt Mask
The Nano Textile Sonovia Innovation – a New Long Term Sterile Mask
How to Put On and Take Off a Face Mask Safely
When you remove a mask, you must treat it as if it were contaminated.