Why Everyone Should Wear a Mask!
Saving Your Health,
One Mask at a Time
COVID-19 Face Mask News
Face Masks in the Pandemic
- Coronavirus case counts are once again rising across the US, near and far. Health officials are scrambling to vaccinate as the Delta variant takes hold. Confusion is growing about whether people …
- N95 and KN95 face masks, respirators on sale: Where to find them at best prices as COVID-19 cases surge amid Delta variantNew strains of COVID-19 such as the Delta variant have proven to be more contagious. With cases surging across the country, now is a great time to invest in some medical grade N95 masks available …
- “Cloth face coverings are one of the most powerful weapons we have to slow … How do masks prevent the spread of COVID? Can't the virus just go right through cloth? Coronavirus, which causes …
- For additional information, see CDC's What to do if you are sick with coronavirus … to slow the spread of COVID-19: NOTE: The cloth face coverings recommended by CDC are not surgical masks …
- This page provides information on FDA-regulated face masks (including cloth … for Healthcare Personnel During the Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) Pandemic. A: During the COVID-19 public …
Making Homemade Masks
- These masks can filter a higher percent of particles in the air than surgical masks or homemade cloth face coverings … move is part of a bid to "maximize protection" from the highly contagious …
- Not all face masks and homemade coverings can provide enough protection, as some of them have better filtration systems than others. A strange recommendation from the Indian government advises the …
- Another study found that homemade face masks can help limit the spread of … from the combination of source control and wearer protection for the mask wearer. "The relationship between source …
- Another study found that homemade face masks can help limit the spread of the coronavirus … The prevention benefit of masking is derived from the combination of source control and wearer protection …
- school and business closures and face mask use. The latter has been controversial in a few countries, notably the USA. Masks are unique instruments of protection in that they protect not only the …
- For example, in Greater Manchester, mayor Andy Burnham requires face coverings … offer protection to wearers, but are not a replacement for social distancing and hand-washing. Masks can also …
Making Homemade Face Masks using Different Methods
The Hong Kong Mask
This is for social hygiene – its purpose is to protect others from you. No sewing. Everyday components. Very simple. Includes multiple layer mask and a face shield. Dispose of the mask immediately after use and scrub your hands.
The Super Simple Diaper Mask!
This is for social hygiene – its purpose is to protect others from you. It may give you some protection from others. No sewing! Takes one diaper and a pair of scissors. Cut out a square in the center of the diaper, leaving elastic on either side. Use the cutout square to make a double layer in front. You can effectively seal this mask around your nose with a pair of goggles. Includes two non-woven layers of polypropylene and two moisture absorbing tortuous paths. Easy, simple and fast. This very simple mask meets many of the requirements of a good surgical mask – as described in the “What is a Good Quality Surgical Mask?” video at the bottom of this page. Dispose of the mask immediately after use and scrub your hands.
A Doctor Explains How to Make the Safest Face Mask (HEPA Vacuum Bag)
If N95 or better masks are not available, Dr. Southworth recommends this mask as an alternative for healthcare workers. The fit appears to be very good, because he could not smell household fumes, such as bacon cooking while wearing the mask. Given the materials, this mask is potentially reusable. The integrity of this mask should be verified with the standard fit test with each use. UV germicidal light could be used to keep it clean between patients.
Face Mask with a Filter Pocket
This is a sewn version of a simple surgical mask. Hospitals are providing these to patients in the waiting area, and for them to take home for their personal use. The nose wire helps to achieve an improved fit. The replaceable filter layer(s) can be made from unwoven fabrics such as 100% rayon, cellulose, or polypropylene as found in fabric liners and diapers. The cloth portion of the mask is washable, but for safety it should be sterilized immediately after use by soaking in hydrogen peroxide. Remove the mask by only touching the elastic portions and wash your hands thoroughly afterwards.
Nurse Preferred Mask
Which mask should I make for the hospitals? The nurse below talks about the designs for two types of surgical masks. She prefers ties over elastic because of the discomfort of wearing elastic. She prefers at least four layers in the mask. She does not want an insertable filter because when she is working it is beyond what she wants to deal with. Each hospital has different requirements – please check before creating them.
DIY Near N-95 Masks
This mask should not only help protect others from you, but may also help protect you from others. It requires no sewing, and attempts to replicate the layering used in N95 masks by using a MERV13 filter. You should verify its fit and filtering capability with a sniff test for household odors as described by Dr. Southworth in the above vacuum bag mask video. This mask cannot be washed but you can sterilize the surfaces with UV light. Remove the mask by only touching the elastic portions and wash your hands thoroughly afterwards.
This mask should not only help protect others from you, but may also help protect you from others. This is a simple sewn mask. It includes a wired nose piece. The DIY video explains the use of layering of unwoven fabrics to create a tortuous path which acts as a barrier to viruses and small particles. This mask is washable. Immediately sterilize in hydrogen peroxide or UV light after each use. Remove the mask by only touching the elastic portions and wash your hands thoroughly afterwards.
The Olson Mask (for Healthcare Workers)
This is the Olson mask that some hospitals are asking people to make in the event that alternatives are needed. Their innovative use of double sided tape got this mask to pass the hospital fit test.
The MERV Filter Mask
This is one the early DIY masks that requires no sewing. It uses a MERV13 air filter material.
The Bra Mask
This is a multilayered mask. It gives you a pre-shaped form and elastic straps using bras that many women will have in their dresser drawer. To the extent is it well sealed on the sides, this mask will help protect others from you and may protect you from others.
The Anti Viral Masks
Antiviral materials are coming. The two stories below refer to research and innovations that will allow any mask, homemade or otherwise, to be made of antiviral materials. Treated fabrics will destroy viruses on contacts.
The Salt Mask
The Nano Textile Sonovia Innovation – a New Long Term Sterile Mask
How to Put On and Take Off a Face Mask Safely
When you remove a mask, you must treat it as if it were contaminated.