Why Everyone Should Wear a Mask!
Saving Your Health,
One Mask at a Time
COVID-19 Face Mask News
Face Masks in the Pandemic
- Boris Johnson faces Keir Starmer at PMQs as calls grow for government to implement Covid ‘plan B’ – liveLatest updates: prime minister takes questions in Commons after Kwasi Kwarteng rules out further lockdown …
- Today’s coronavirus news: Ontario reporting 328 new cases of COVID-19; Saskatchewan premier apologizes to those left without health careMeanwhile, the NHL has suspended San Jose Sharks forward Evander Kane for 21 games for submitting a fake COVID-19 vaccination card.
- Elisabeth Bik calls out bad science for a living. A feud with one of the world’s loudest hydroxychloroquine crusaders shows that it can carry a high price.
- We’re tracking the most up-to-date information about the coronavirus and vaccines in North Carolina. Check back for updates. At least 1,446,881 people in North Carolina have tested positive for the …
- All public and private sector workers must be vaccinated or take frequent coronavirus tests. Opponents tried to mount protests, but most Italians appeared to accept the rule as necessary.
- We’re tracking the most up-to-date information about the coronavirus … COVID-19. Last week, state officials announced that it’s encouraging attendees to come vaccinated and wear face masks …
Making Homemade Masks
- Smart Biz Company One (SBC1) today announces the launch of its innovative face mask, the KF80 Mask, professionally made for long-term use and available for the general public. The masks feature the …
- The country still enforces the wearing of face masks indoors and outdoors despite … who owns a small boutique shop selling homemade essential oils products in the Anse Janchee valley region …
- Bianca Bruno / August 30, 2021 A collage of homemade HEPA filters … have some data on what happens when masks are used — or not — in schools. A study published this month found universal use of …
- Because of the pandemic, Dakota's big night involved wearing face masks, using antibacterial … keep a fun tradition alive for the kids with homemade paper towel roll chutes," Coughlin says.
- I'm a 49-year-old with enlarged pores who wants ageless skin. A dermatologist told me to stop using baby wipes and hydrogen peroxide on my face.The order of Melenee's routine is spot-on To start her day, Melenee uses a baby wipe to cleanse her face and moisturizes with Immortelle Precious Cream. Melenee's nighttime routine also keeps it …
- Needless to say, that Halloween is still going to look quite different than pre-COVID years. And while many are vaccinated and ready to take to the streets, COVID-19 and social distancing guidelines …
Making Homemade Face Masks using Different Methods
The Hong Kong Mask
This is for social hygiene – its purpose is to protect others from you. No sewing. Everyday components. Very simple. Includes multiple layer mask and a face shield. Dispose of the mask immediately after use and scrub your hands.
The Super Simple Diaper Mask!
This is for social hygiene – its purpose is to protect others from you. It may give you some protection from others. No sewing! Takes one diaper and a pair of scissors. Cut out a square in the center of the diaper, leaving elastic on either side. Use the cutout square to make a double layer in front. You can effectively seal this mask around your nose with a pair of goggles. Includes two non-woven layers of polypropylene and two moisture absorbing tortuous paths. Easy, simple and fast. This very simple mask meets many of the requirements of a good surgical mask – as described in the “What is a Good Quality Surgical Mask?” video at the bottom of this page. Dispose of the mask immediately after use and scrub your hands.
A Doctor Explains How to Make the Safest Face Mask (HEPA Vacuum Bag)
If N95 or better masks are not available, Dr. Southworth recommends this mask as an alternative for healthcare workers. The fit appears to be very good, because he could not smell household fumes, such as bacon cooking while wearing the mask. Given the materials, this mask is potentially reusable. The integrity of this mask should be verified with the standard fit test with each use. UV germicidal light could be used to keep it clean between patients.
Face Mask with a Filter Pocket
This is a sewn version of a simple surgical mask. Hospitals are providing these to patients in the waiting area, and for them to take home for their personal use. The nose wire helps to achieve an improved fit. The replaceable filter layer(s) can be made from unwoven fabrics such as 100% rayon, cellulose, or polypropylene as found in fabric liners and diapers. The cloth portion of the mask is washable, but for safety it should be sterilized immediately after use by soaking in hydrogen peroxide. Remove the mask by only touching the elastic portions and wash your hands thoroughly afterwards.
Nurse Preferred Mask
Which mask should I make for the hospitals? The nurse below talks about the designs for two types of surgical masks. She prefers ties over elastic because of the discomfort of wearing elastic. She prefers at least four layers in the mask. She does not want an insertable filter because when she is working it is beyond what she wants to deal with. Each hospital has different requirements – please check before creating them.
DIY Near N-95 Masks
This mask should not only help protect others from you, but may also help protect you from others. It requires no sewing, and attempts to replicate the layering used in N95 masks by using a MERV13 filter. You should verify its fit and filtering capability with a sniff test for household odors as described by Dr. Southworth in the above vacuum bag mask video. This mask cannot be washed but you can sterilize the surfaces with UV light. Remove the mask by only touching the elastic portions and wash your hands thoroughly afterwards.
This mask should not only help protect others from you, but may also help protect you from others. This is a simple sewn mask. It includes a wired nose piece. The DIY video explains the use of layering of unwoven fabrics to create a tortuous path which acts as a barrier to viruses and small particles. This mask is washable. Immediately sterilize in hydrogen peroxide or UV light after each use. Remove the mask by only touching the elastic portions and wash your hands thoroughly afterwards.
The Olson Mask (for Healthcare Workers)
This is the Olson mask that some hospitals are asking people to make in the event that alternatives are needed. Their innovative use of double sided tape got this mask to pass the hospital fit test.
The MERV Filter Mask
This is one the early DIY masks that requires no sewing. It uses a MERV13 air filter material.
The Bra Mask
This is a multilayered mask. It gives you a pre-shaped form and elastic straps using bras that many women will have in their dresser drawer. To the extent is it well sealed on the sides, this mask will help protect others from you and may protect you from others.
The Anti Viral Masks
Antiviral materials are coming. The two stories below refer to research and innovations that will allow any mask, homemade or otherwise, to be made of antiviral materials. Treated fabrics will destroy viruses on contacts.
The Salt Mask
The Nano Textile Sonovia Innovation – a New Long Term Sterile Mask
How to Put On and Take Off a Face Mask Safely
When you remove a mask, you must treat it as if it were contaminated.