PLANETS – A book you can talk to! Ask the AI-based avatar, Electra, anything you like. She will speak and text the answer. This online book combines storytelling, a planet finder app, 4K video streaming, 3D manipulations, animations, hands-on activities, interactive explorations and gravity simulators to explore the Solar System. This is not just a book, it is an extraordinary new type of experience, appropriate for planetary explorers of all ages.
- Take a 4K video tour of Mars’ varied landscapes, as seen by three of NASA’s rovers!
- Spin through 3D models of the planets, moons and asteroids.
- Ponder the existence of giant diamond icebergs floating in liquid carbon oceans deep inside the largest planets.
- Learn about deep oceans of water encapsulated beneath the surfaces of a number of planetary moons and even inside the dwarf planet, Pluto. Do these oceans harbor life? We are going to find out.
- Watch as your view of the Earth telescopes out to the edge of the Solar System in the video, The Pale Blue Dot, narrated by Carl Sagan.
- Discover how our understanding of gravity has evolved from Newton to Einstein. Manipulate, spin, model and ponder space-time.
- Which is the most studied meteorite ever to have landed on Earth? What has it revealed about the early history of the Solar System and the origins of life on Earth?
- Explore a spectacular set of gravity simulators to monitor near-Earth astroids; to examine exoplanets in other Solar Systems; and to visualize what happens when galaxies collide.
- What is an equinox? What is a solstice? What causes the seasons? How have the cycles of the Earth guided humans toward an understanding of the cosmos? Do other planets have seasons?
- Take a brief but intriguing look at the history of astronomy. Learn about the breakthrough events that led to our current understanding of the cosmos.
- Have a question? Select the Electra ICON and she will materialize. Converse with her by either speaking or typing. Click her away to return to the book.