40 page science books and materials in multiples of 6, 12 or 24 sets per box
The highly visual, step-by-step instructions enable students to work independently.
Complies with NGSS
NGSS 2.Structure and Properties of Matter
2-PS1-1, 2-PS1-2, 2-PS1-3, 2-PS1-4
Core Disciplinary Ideas:
PS1.A Structure and Properties of Matter; PS1.B Chemical Reactions
Chemistry: Solids, Liquids & Gases
Capture a CO2 explosion, Squeeze an egg into a bottle, Grow crystals, Make candles, Freeze liquids into solids, Dissolve and filter solids, Dye a flower from the inside out, Change states of matter
SEE ADDITIONAL IMAGE ABOVE FOR LIST OF MATERIALS
Solids, Liquids, Gases
- Explore how the same matter can be in one of three states: a solid, a liquid or a gas
- Change states by heating and freezing, and through condensation and evaporation
- Explore the properties of solids, liquids and gases
- Measure, pour and shape liquids
- Predict and experiment with pressure
- Discover that not all liquids mix together and that when they don’t, the layers sort by density
- Overfill containers, float on liquids and pipette water to explore surface tension
- Sink and float an egg to explore density
- Dye a fan from the inside out and separate colors with capillary action
- Prove that the invisible gases in air do exist
- React a solid with a liquid and produce and capture CO2 gas
- Discover that certain gases are heavier or more dense than the gases in air while other gases are lighter or less dense
- Explore air pressure by squeezing an egg into a bottle and by holding water upside down
- Burn oxygen inside a jar and watch the displacement of its volume
- Use careful observation to discover what is happening and avoid common misconceptions
- Measure the volume of a solid and manipulate the shape and density
- Explore mixing, solubility, filtering and crystallization
The online teacher lesson plans (Teacher’s Guide sold separately) coordinate the ScienceWiz Chemistry projects with web-based materials. These include animations, videos, interactives and assessment materials.
Supplemental internet materials allow students to progress at their own pace and to their own level of interest and detail. The web contents are periodically updated by scientists and educators.
These Teacher’s Packs are designed so that students have their own readers and materials. Extensions to the primary projects are feasible as there are sufficient supplies for all. This Pack has a number of consumables. Readily available consumables can be purchased in local stores. Replacement parts can per ordered through ScienceWiz™.