52 page science books and materials in multiples of 6, 12 or 24 sets per box
The highly visual, step-by-step instructions enable students to work independently.
SEE ADDITIONAL IMAGE ABOVE FOR LIST OF MATERIALS
- Explore with an infrared thermometer
- Measure the freezing and boiling point of water using different types of thermometers
- Make a thermometer
- Experiment with the relationship between temperature and expansion and contraction in materials
- Compare temperature scales
- Measure and record temperatures over time as solids and liquids change state
- Experiment with heat conduction
- Determine if different metals have different conductivity
- Do color swirling explorations with conventions
- Record the process of reaching thermal equilibrium
- Explore heat capacity
- Determine if different materials and colors absorb heat at different rates
- Make and measure exothermic and endothermic reactions including elephant toothpaste and heat warmers.
Within the context of these experiments, students explore changes in state: solids, liquids and gases. They explore engineering issues regarding contraction and expansion. They compare the different temperature scales and learn about absolute zero. They answer the questions: What IS temperature and what IS heat and what makes these quantities different? They explore the three types of heat transfer: conduction, convection and radiation both not only in terms of experiments but also in terms of how heat transfer affects phenomena throughout the natural world not only locally but also on a planetary and even a cosmic scale.
The online teacher lesson plans coordinate the ScienceWiz Collisions projects with web-based materials.
These include animations, videos, interactives and assessment materials.
Supplemental internet materials allow students to progress at their own pace and to their own level of interest and detail.
The web contents are periodically updated by scientists and educators.
These Teacher’s Packs are designed so that students have their own books and materials. Extensions to the primary projects are feasible as there are sufficient supplies for all. This Pack consists of largely non-consumables and uses robust components designed for years of classroom use. Replacement parts can be purchased on this website or by contacting ScienceWiz™.